Skip to main content

Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’

Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’

Today’s post is about Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’, commonly known as the Jade plant gollum.

When I bought this plant, I had no idea what it was, so I googled ‘succulent that looks like shrek ears’…and guess what? Crassula ovata was the first answer that came up. So, I think it should also be called ‘shrek plant’.

This is my second post on a Crassula, so for information about the genus/naming click here.

Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ is closely related to Crassula ovata agm known as the ‘friendship tree’ or ‘jade plant’ which I will do a blog post about in the future. Some people say Crassula ovata are lucky plants, and in my opinion, you can never have too much good luck, so I am a fan.

What I love about Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ is its weird tubular leaves, that in places appear to be wearing lipstick. 

There is also Crassula ovata ‘Hobbit’ which is very similar to Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’, however the leaves are less ‘suction cap’ like, and more ‘spoon’ like.

I picked up my Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ from a local garden centre for £6 and was initially worried as it had tiny white dots on some of the leaves. I feared it had a fungus or mould problem. However, after a lot of research, I found out these white dots are actually salt deposits. Crassula ovata filter the water it receives and excrete unwanted minerals on their leaves, which creates (harmless) white specks. Which was a relief!  

Care instructions: Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ are pretty tolerant of a range of temperatures, preferring 5°C to 30°C. They can handle much colder, for short periods.

Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ love sun (like most succulents). If grown in full sun, it brings out a brighter green in the leaves and the red lipstick-type marks. However, they can tolerate less sun if needed, it will just result in a darker plant. Shade might be required in summer to prevent scorching.

Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ should only be watered when the soil is dry. Watering should be done deeply to encourage deep roots. In winter, watering should be reduced, and just enough water should be given to stop the leaves from shrivelling.

Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ can be fertilised using ½ strength fertiliser in spring every month or so, but this is not needed.

I have my Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’ potted in a big pot, in cacti potting mix, with a heavy layer of grit in the base to prevent root rot.

Sadly, flowering is unlikely when kept indoors in the UK. It is possible though and requires a clear dormant period. Flowers are small and white.

To propagate, you can take a stem cutting, keep in a dry, warm and shaded area, wait till the cut area is healed and roots begin to grow, and pot up.

Any questions/corrections- please comment below 😁
Crassula ovata ‘Gollum’


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cereus validus

Cereus validus Today I am going to look at a cactus, the fabulous Cereus validus . Cereus validus is sometimes named Cereus forbesii or Cereus haneanus . Cactus naming history is full of renaming and reclassification, largely a result of botanists, horticulturalists and scientists disagreeing. I tend to choose the cactus name that I prefer or see most commonly to label my plants.   Cereus is a genus of cacti containing around 33 species. Cereus are desert cacti from South America, that tend to look like long columns. The word ‘cereus’ derives from the Latin word for ‘candle’, which is fitting, as these cacti look like long thin candles. The origin of the word ‘cereus’ is more interesting than this though, as it is derived from the Greek name Selene, a Greek moon goddess. Selene was thought to drive her moon chariot across the heavens. Cereus are sometimes called ‘nightblooming’ cacti, as they bloom after dark, which is cool, and explains the link to the moon

Sansevieria trifasciata & Update

Sansevieria trifasciata **This is my first post since the COVID-19 outbreak. I hope you are all okay. It is a scary time, most people are in lock down, essential workers (such as myself (I am a nurse)) are trying our best and each day the news gets bleaker. We are unable to see family members and friends; normal life has been turned upside down. However, I am endlessly amazed at the kindness and resilience people are showing. People seem to be enjoying little things more, gardening, talking to loved ones and a whole host of creative means of escapism. I cannot wait until this passes, and I will never take for granted a coffee with a friend or a hug with a family member ever again. Stay safe. ** Next I would like to update you on a few of my plants. Firstly, my Mammillaria elongata has bloomed, which is exciting. Lots of these flowers have budded up, with a few blossoming, which was a real treat after a hard week at work. Mammillaria elongata flower Secondly, my l

Titanopsis calcarea

Titanopsis calcarea Today's post is about a very odd looking succulent, Titanopsis calcarea . Titanopsis calcarea also goes by ‘ Jewel plant ’, and ‘ concrete leaf ’- both of which I think describe it nicely! The warty appearance of the leaves look like limestone, making it well camouflaged in the rocky outcrops of South Africa it is found.   As a small succulent (mine is only a couple of cm tall), it does not stand out. However, on close inspection Titanopsis calcarea is so unique, I am sure you will enjoy having one in your collection. The genus Titanopsis is small, containing ~10 species. The genus name Titanopsis is derived from the Ancient Greek words ‘titanos’(=limestone) and ‘opsis’ (=looks like), which sums up the genus perfectly. Calcarea is derived from the Latin for limestone, again referencing Titanopsis calcarea ’s appearance and habitat. My  Titanopsis calcarea was a gift, however I have seen these plants online for ~£8.   Care instructions