Skip to main content

Oreocereus celsianus

Oreocereus celsianus
Today’s post is about the beautiful Oreocereus celsianus.

Oreocereus celsianus also gets called the ‘Old man of the mountain’, which is possibly my favourite common name for a cacti every, it’s so full of character! It makes me antropomorphize my cacti and imagine it giving grumpy advice!

I picked this cactus up at my favourite garden centre pre-lockdown. It cost £6. It came unlabelled and to be honest, I had no idea what species it was. After scouring my identification book, I was still unsure, so I posted in my favourite cacti forum, and a very kind member identified it for me, which was great. I really recommend https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/ for friendly advice.

Anyway, back to Oreocereus celsianus. The Oreocereus genus is found at high altitudes in the Andes. ‘Oreo’ is from the ancient Greek word ‘oros’ which means mountain, and ‘cereus’ is derived from the Latin word for torch. I presume celsianus is reference to the botanist Jacques Martin Cels, but I’m not 100% certain.

Oreocereus celsianus has beautiful white ‘hairs’, which as well as giving it tons of character, protect the plant from the extreme cold and exposed sun in its native environment. Don’t be fooled though, under the cosy looking fuzz are long and fierce spines. My trio of Oreocereus celsianus are quite stumpy, but they can grow super long and tall.

Care instructions: Oreocereus celsianus are very tolerant plants. They prefer temperatures of 5°C to 30°C, however, can tolerate as low as -12°C! If you plan on low temperatures, make sure the soil is dry to avoid damaging the plant (as it will rot if left wet).

Oreocereus celsianus prefer lots of bright sunlight, so ideally should be kept on a south-facing window, though some shade at the hottest time of year will be needed to prevent scorching. However, I have been growing mine on a north-facing window and it looks happy enough.

Oreocereus celsianus should be watered when the top layers of soil are dry in summer, ~once a month in autumn and not at all in winter, which is important for the plants growth cycle.

Oreocereus celsianus can be fertilised in once a month (with ½ strength fertiliser), over summer but this is not essential. They are used to tough conditions.

I keep my Oreocereus celsianus in a large pot, in cacti potting mixture and a thick layer of grit at the base for extra drainage. In the future I will separate the three plants into individual pots, however right now I don’t have access to extra plant pots.

If Oreocereus celsianus flowers, they will be big pink blooms. These flowers can appear in spring, but only on mature plants.

Oreocereus celsianus is propagated by seed.

I really like my Old man of the mountain; it is unusual and full of character. I will update if I am lucky enough to get flowers this year.

Any questions/corrections- please comment below

*comments are especially appreciated at the moment 😊*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cereus validus

Cereus validus Today I am going to look at a cactus, the fabulous Cereus validus . Cereus validus is sometimes named Cereus forbesii or Cereus haneanus . Cactus naming history is full of renaming and reclassification, largely a result of botanists, horticulturalists and scientists disagreeing. I tend to choose the cactus name that I prefer or see most commonly to label my plants.   Cereus is a genus of cacti containing around 33 species. Cereus are desert cacti from South America, that tend to look like long columns. The word ‘cereus’ derives from the Latin word for ‘candle’, which is fitting, as these cacti look like long thin candles. The origin of the word ‘cereus’ is more interesting than this though, as it is derived from the Greek name Selene, a Greek moon goddess. Selene was thought to drive her moon chariot across the heavens. Cereus are sometimes called ‘nightblooming’ cacti, as they bloom after dark, which is cool, and explains the link to the moon

Sansevieria trifasciata & Update

Sansevieria trifasciata **This is my first post since the COVID-19 outbreak. I hope you are all okay. It is a scary time, most people are in lock down, essential workers (such as myself (I am a nurse)) are trying our best and each day the news gets bleaker. We are unable to see family members and friends; normal life has been turned upside down. However, I am endlessly amazed at the kindness and resilience people are showing. People seem to be enjoying little things more, gardening, talking to loved ones and a whole host of creative means of escapism. I cannot wait until this passes, and I will never take for granted a coffee with a friend or a hug with a family member ever again. Stay safe. ** Next I would like to update you on a few of my plants. Firstly, my Mammillaria elongata has bloomed, which is exciting. Lots of these flowers have budded up, with a few blossoming, which was a real treat after a hard week at work. Mammillaria elongata flower Secondly, my l

Titanopsis calcarea

Titanopsis calcarea Today's post is about a very odd looking succulent, Titanopsis calcarea . Titanopsis calcarea also goes by ‘ Jewel plant ’, and ‘ concrete leaf ’- both of which I think describe it nicely! The warty appearance of the leaves look like limestone, making it well camouflaged in the rocky outcrops of South Africa it is found.   As a small succulent (mine is only a couple of cm tall), it does not stand out. However, on close inspection Titanopsis calcarea is so unique, I am sure you will enjoy having one in your collection. The genus Titanopsis is small, containing ~10 species. The genus name Titanopsis is derived from the Ancient Greek words ‘titanos’(=limestone) and ‘opsis’ (=looks like), which sums up the genus perfectly. Calcarea is derived from the Latin for limestone, again referencing Titanopsis calcarea ’s appearance and habitat. My  Titanopsis calcarea was a gift, however I have seen these plants online for ~£8.   Care instructions